Sunday, October 3, 2010

Full Of &*%$

When I first started this blog, I made a promise to myself that I would be honest about having any major slip-ups, so here goes: I did not do so well with my eating this weekend. I'm not sure why -- maybe because my mom angered me or because I have PMS, or hell, maybe I've just been hungry -- but I ate a lot of junk that I shouldn't have.

Yesterday, was the worst. We went to see The Social Network (which was a fantastic movie, but I digress) and I got Reese's Pieces at the candy counter. Truthfully, I wasn't even that hungry at the time, but it was a long movie and I felt like doing *something* other than just sitting there for 2 1/2 hours.

We then went to one of our favorite restaurants, Santa Fe, which is a Tex Mex place. Usually, I get the veggie fajitas, but this time, I ordered the veggie burrito. What's the difference? The burrito has cheese and sauce on it, and comes with beans, while the fajitas are a lot more plain. After, Jon and I shared their huge cookie sundae.

By the time, we left, I had a bad stomach ache and even worse, I didn't sleep well last night. I awoke in the middle of the night to one of my sleep apnea episodes -- and I haven't had one of those in MONTHS. If there was anything telling me to get the hell back on track, it was that.

Still, I've been forcing myself to find some good in all this. For starters, there were only three servings of candy in the bag I got at the movies. Not great, but not the end of the world, either. It wasn't like I ate one of those one-pound bags of M&Ms (which I probably could finish, if I really wanted). As for dinner, no, the burrito was not the healthiest choice, but it wasn't entirely UNHEALTHY, either: it was stuffed with zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms and tomatoes, so I was getting some vegetables into my meal. And no, ordering a sundae was not smart, either, but together, Jon and I only ate about a third and he points out that I mostly had the whipped cream.

The good news is, I got back on track today. My in-laws surprised us with a visit to the city and took us out to lunch. But we went to a diner so I was able to get a Spanish omelet, filled with tomatoes, peppers, onions and carrots. I then had a small dinner of cheese, fruit and a roll with low-fat cream cheese. We did some walking today when we went out, so I got some exercise and I spent the rest of my day making jewelry. I brushed my teeth early so that I'd force myself to stop eating around 7 p.m.

I guess all I can do is learn from my mistakes and plan better the next time we go out. Instead of getting candy at the movie counter (which is expensive, anyway), I'll bring some mints or string cheese to nosh on. And when we go out, I'll allow myself ONE indulgence; if I'm going to order something that's pretty fattening like a burrito covered in cheese, I won't get dessert -- even if it's shared. If I'm craving a dessert, I'll stick with a lower-fat dinner option. This way, I won't feel like I'm depriving myself, but won't go overboard, either.

I can't turn back time and fix yesterday, but I can "fix" tomorrow, and am already anticipating what I'll do to take care of myself. I'm hardly the first person -- fat OR thin -- to have a not-so-healthy eating day. All I can do is try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment