Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Night At The Opera

Well, not really. Jon and I actually went to see Chinese dancers last night at Lincoln Center. But it was really nice. There were some things that we liked and disliked about the show, but we enjoyed getting out and doing something interesting in the city. I know that it was good for me because even though we got home late, I felt energized and ended up staying up for another hour. I was happy and didn't want to just crash as I sometimes do when I get home from work.

I've been doing pretty well with food this week. I've cut bread out of my breakfast and have been having fresh veggies and lean meats for lunch. For snacks, I've been having two pieces of string cheese (each at 80 cals). Last night, Jon and I went out for dinner, but I had a light entree of mushroom ravioli with vegetables. They didn't serve a huge portion of pasta so I wasn't completely stuffed when I'd finished and there were plenty of chunks of squash, asparagus, mushrooms and onions in the dish.

I am frustrated that I'm finding it very hard to walk at this point, but that's looking up, as well. Amy, who's done a few walking events with me, has suggested that we start training together again. I explained to her that I can barely walk two blocks at this point without needing to stop and sit down, but she was okay with that. She even suggested that during the winter we walk around the mall so there will be plenty of places for me to stop and take a rest.

I like this idea, but out of curiosity, I decided to count how many steps I can comfortably take before needing to stop: it's about 300, pretty sad. But now that I know this, I can add to it. I want to get to 350 soon, then 400, then eventually a mile -- what is that, about 5200? I just have to work up to that. By the time I'm able to do a mile, I'll be so much more functional. I'll be able to stand in line or walk around a museum or go shopping -- do all of that stuff that most take advantage of.

Thinking of walking a mile is hard right now, but if I break it down into steps, it somehow doesn't seem as bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment