Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ode To A Grecian Yearn

Karen gave me a Greece travel guide for my birthday. Now Jon and I are seriously starting make plans for a trip to Greece in May. Usually, I'm gung ho about traveling and especially about making plans for it. I'll go through all the hotels and restaurants, and pretty much know a place by hearft by the time we get to it. My friends love traveling with me because I'm willing to do all of the leg work. I'm usually good at finding unusual, but cool places to visit because I put so much time into my research.

Honestly, I'm not feeling it as much this time around because I'm nervous. I want to have a good time on our trip and I'm afraid that I won't be able to climb the hills or walk around the ruins, and will end up driving Jon crazy. Our worst trip was to London, where I could barely walk a block. I ended up having very bad feelings toward a great city because I remember being in pain the whole time. I've been wanting to go to Greece for a long time and want this to be an awesome trip -- especially since we haven't traveled in about a year.

I still have more than three months, though, so I figure that's enough time to get in shape for this. Realistically, I don't have to be in great shape. I don't have to train for a marathon (even that would be appropriate for Greece) or even for a smaller event; I just need to be in good enough shape so that I can walk comfortably and not have to stop at every block. That's a doable goal and one that I should achieve by spring, anyway. I'm already in better shape than I was a few weeks ago when I was sick, so that's a start. And three months is enough time to get into shape so that I can merely walk. I mean, I went from being in a wheelchair to functional walking in about three months. Now I just need to turn that into distance walking.

I'm a little apprehensive about joining a gym again, but I'd like to do that soon. If I work out three times a week, doing the treadmill and elliptical, that will be a really good start.

I know that Jon is very excited about going to Greece. I want to be able to share that with him and enjoy my life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment