Sunday, August 15, 2010

Fat Days

Most women I know -- and some men, too -- have "fat days," i.e. those days where no matter what you weigh, you feel bloated and heavy and well, fat. I'm having one of those days today. I didn't eat too much this weekend or have a lot of salt or anything like that, but I feel like I weigh 1000 pounds. It sucks.

It's frustrating, but I know that it'll pass and soon enough I'll be having a "thin day"; hopefully, more of these will come as I lose more weight.

Tonight I had an interesting conversation with a girlfriend about the effect our upbringing can have on our weight. I mentioned the battles I had with my parents over my size while I was in college and beyond and she wondered if my initial weight gain was partially done out of spite. She never gained as much weight as I have, but she's had her ups and downs on the scale, and her ups and downs with her parents, as well. I don't know for sure if I did gain weight as a form of rebellion, but I suppose it could've been the case. I just don't like to blame other people for what I did to my own body. As I've said before, I don't entirely agree with the way my parents handled things, but I'd rather forgive and move on. I definitely feel that us getting close during these past few months has allowed me to let go of some of these issues and finally start losing the weight for myself and not just to please them -- or gain weight to spite them, for that matter.

Still, it's nice having a friend who I can talk to about these things and who understands. Most of my friends have been very supportive of me --through my fat and thin periods -- but most have not had to lose massive amounts of weight so it's difficult for them to truly emphasize with what I'm going through. I like having someone who I can reach out to.

On a totally unrelated topic, is it possible for a cat to have a food addiction? Our cat, Maya, meows and meows at us for food, no matter how much we give her. She even managed to trick us each into giving her a meal, so she got two breakfasts! And she STILL meowed at us for treats. I don't know what her deal is, but perhaps she needs Weight Watchers for cats...

No comments:

Post a Comment