Sunday, August 1, 2010

Game On!

So in about 10 hours, I'll be off to to work, ready to re-enter the "real world." GULP.

I'm now sure how mentally prepared I am for this, but I'm defintely prepared in every other way. My alarm is set, my Metro Card is packed away, my clothes are all laid out for tomorrow and the car service has been called (I'm going to take car service in the morning and then try commuting by bus in the evening). I also packed my lunch of rolls with low-fat cream cheese, bananas, grapes and cheese, and I even have my dinner ready for tomorrow night (roast chicken with steamed veggies) since I have a counseling session right after work. Now all I need is a little courage.

I'm not sure why I'm so nervous about returning to my office. I mean, I've been at this job for 12 years, almost 13, if you count the internship I did beforehand. I've been working for the past month at home. And I know that everyone is excited to have me back. But somehow the idea of going off into the "real world" when I'm still feeling vulnerable is scary. The last time I commuted, I ended up with a broken leg -- and I've felt protected being in my nice, cozy apartment with my cat by my side.

But I know that in the long run, going back to work will be good for me. I do miss Manhattan and am looking forward to being back there every day. I'm also looking forward to walking around the city when my leg is stronger and I can cover more distances. For a while, I was circling three miles around the city after work each day, and I really enjoyed it. It was a time for me to get in shape and have some space for myself.

Still, I can't get rid of these butterflies in my stomach. I hope I can sleep tonight! I'll be back tomorrow to give you an update on my latest adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment