Friday, August 6, 2010

Survival Of The Fittest

Well, I survived my first week back at work. It was NOT easy. The job itself was fine -- they mainly left me alone so I could get back into the groove of things -- but the commute was killer. I did sooo much walking this week, just getting around the city, and my legs and back are feeling it. For me, two blocks is still a lot; I'm looking forward to Sunday when I'll just be able to elevate and ice my leg all day and let it heal.

The good news is, I got a solid report from my orthopedist yesterday. He says that my leg is in decent shape and now it's just a matter of me continuing to build up muscle. They told me that having back and hip pain is very common and that it would get better as I get stronger. I certainly hope so because I'm sick of carrying that walker around -- though I like being able to sit whenever I need to. Today I an old man who also had a walker that doubles as a seat and it was like, "Hey, buddy!"

Meanwhile, I'm eating well and the weight keeps coming off. Last night, I went out with my group of girlfriends and a few told me I look good (though not many people are mentioning the actual weight loss yet, perhaps because they're afraid of embarrassing me?). Karen and I then went out tonight and she said that each week she sees me, I seem to be smaller. I still have no idea how much I weigh (and I kind of like it that way, truth be told), but the pounds are coming off quickly, which for me, is unusual. My metabolism tends to be on the slow side, but I guess my body is still in shock from all of the sudden movement it's getting (not that I'm complaining. I'm taking full advantage!).

Tomorrow is Scott's party, so that will be a bit of a challenge. I'm glad that I have PT in the morning so I can get a workout in beforehand. But he always has a lot of food at his parties and this is an all-day affair.

I'm thinking that in a couple of weeks, I'm going to treat myself to a professional massage. I've had one (which was a total disaster, but that's another story) and now I feel as if I really need another. That will be a nice way to reward myself for all of my hard work.

Until then, I'm going to keep going and tell my legs to shut up when they protest!

No comments:

Post a Comment