Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Big Steps

I made my second journey by myself today when I went to PT. However, this time, I found it so much easier to get downstairs on my own. After being so sore last week, I was concerned about what this would mean for my walking, but I felt good today. My leg feels stronger and my back is hurting less.

I confess, last night, I had a bit of a slip-up. My husband brought home a bag of soft-baked chocolate chip cookies -- which I loved -- and I ended up eating three before asking him to take the bag away. But it could've been worse. I LOVE cookies and they're one of my worst trigger foods, I guess, because they're so compact and you can't just eat one. I can deal with frozen yogurt or even cake being in the house, but if there are cookies, I'll eat an entire box in one setting. I'm going to let Jon know that we just can't keep those in the house. I've gotten better as mastering this whole idea of "everything in moderation," but when it comes to me and cookies, I almost always end up bingeing. The fact that I stopped myself from doing so yesterday is a big deal.

The good news is, I had a good session at PT today. After Saturday's sucky session, I was determined to kick some butt and felt like I did. I blew right through my standing leg exercises, which are getting pretty easy for me now. I used to have to rest in between exercising the right leg and the left, but now I can do 30 reps on each side without taking a break. I was all set to do step-ups and stretches, too, but they were being kind of cautious with me since my foot swelled up so much the other day. Still, I easily got up the steps in my building this morning, so I guess that counts for step-ups and I did some stretches on my own. I wish they'd challenge me a little more, but I understand that they have to be careful with patients and I can always challenge myself. I'm actually in the mood to do the BowFlex today, so I'll do that later this evening before dinner.

I'm glad that my leg is feeling stronger, but I'm really happy that my back is feeling better. It still hurts if I stand for too long, but I'm able to stand for longer periods of time now. I definitely think it's because I've lost a little weight. Granted, I'm still obese and have about eight chins, but even I can see the weight loss at this point. When I was looking in the mirror at PT this morning, I noticed that my stomach doesn't stick out nearly as much as it did a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, I still look fat, but at least I don't look pregnant! (pregnant women are beautiful, but I don't want people thinking that I am when I'm not).

Yesterday, I officially let my workplace know that I would be back in the office full-time, so let the countdown to Monday begin. I'm very nervous about surviving the commute, but am also excited to be back in the "real world." I can't believe that it's been four months already, since I broke my leg. What a crazy year it's been!

No comments:

Post a Comment