Friday, March 11, 2011

Run For Your Life

I was horrified this morning when I heard the news about the Japanese earthquake and saw all of the awful footage. My heart goes out to all of those dealing with this disaster, as well as the recent victims of the Christchuch quake in NZ. I don't know what the hell is going on in our world that we're experiencing so many disasters lately, but I wish it would stop. Meantime, I hope that as many survivors are rescued as possible.

I feel like a horrible person for thinking about myself when bigger things are going on, but today, I couldn't help but wonder how my weight would affect me if New York City were, God forbid, struck by another disaster. I've dealt with two in the past 10 years -- 9/11, of course, and then the Blackout of 2003. In both cases, being in shape helped.

I was very, very fortunate in that I didn't lose any loved ones on 9/11; I still say a little prayer for the victims each year, even 10 years later because it'll never seem real. But many others were affected in that area. People had to run from the collapsing buildings and then because the subways were out for several hours, many ended up walking home. Again, I was lucky because I stayed at a friend's place until the subways were up and running again. But I saw the hoardes of people crossing the bridge.

I don't know if the Blackout really counts as a disaster -- it was more of an inconvenience for most. But that night, I walked 10 miles to get home. I wasn't in the best shape of my life, but I was fit enough that I could do it. If this happened again, honestly, I couldn't handle it. I'd have to stay in my office until the power returned.

That wouldn't be the end of the world, but what would happen if we were hit by an earthquake or tsunami, or endured another terrorist attack? I can't run, I can't climb stairs well, I can't even stand or walk for long periods of time ... I'd probably be screwed. Even on a smaller scale, like if I were robbed, my weight would hinder me. It scares me a bit to know that I'm this vulnerable.

I've made enough of this post about me so let me end it by encouraging anyone who reads this to donate to organizations who can help those in need over in Japan or NZ. And please take care of yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment