Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mind Over Matter

I've had plenty of body issues over the years, but I've always been fairly confident about my intelligence. Still, I'm finding that getting back into shape is affecting my mental capabilities, as well as my physical ones.

Take yesterday at work, for example. We're going through a lot of changes at the moment because we're about to debut our new, improved Web site. This means that everyone has had to do a lot of annoying grunt work, such as making sure that certain archival information is current. On top of that, my colleague is home with a dying parent so I've had to cover for him.

Needless to say, I've been busy and a little stressed. I had so much to do yesterday, I considered coming in early. I didn't, though, and ended up just working through the morning ... and before I knew it, I was finished! I couldn't believe that I was able to zip through so much work and actually end EARLY.

It's nice to see all of these little changes taking place. I don't look much different; honestly, I think I'll need to lose about 75 pounds or so before there's a noticeable difference. My walking isn't so great. But it's now easier for me to get off the couch or walk across a room, or even walk down the block. Considering the fact that I'm not too far off from being large enough to be bedridden, I think of any activity as progress.

I'm happy to be moving better, but I didn't expect my thinking to improve, as well. Who knows -- maybe when I lose enough weight, I'll be a genius...

No comments:

Post a Comment